In July 2016, we came together as frontline communities, environmentalists, workers, and faith leaders to fight and win the Oakland coal ban. Now, the Oakland Army Base developer, Phil Tagami, has sued the city to advance his coal export project. Please sign on to this open letter to Tagami to defend our hard-won victory!
An Open Letter to Developer Phil Tagami
We call on Phil Tagami to dismiss his lawsuit against the people of Oakland and give up his plan to build the largest coal export facility on the West Coast right here in Oakland. It is time for him to come up with a cleaner, safer, healthier, and more sustainable use for Oakland’s publicly-owned West Gateway.
We support the City Council’s decision in July 2016 to ban coal storage and handling in Oakland. Rather than accept the will of the people, who collectively have contributed nearly $500 million in local, state, and federal funds to redevelop the former Oakland Army Base, Tagami hired one of the richest law firms in the world to sue Oakland, claiming our ban on coal violates his Constitutional rights.
By pursuing litigation that could last for years, he is putting off the creation of jobs that he promised and Oakland residents desperately need now–and diverting city funds to legal defense that would be better spent to meet the needs of Oakland residents. By insisting on his right to ship coal when the world is turning away from coal, he is chasing his own quick profits from building a coal terminal while taxpayers will be left holding the bag when the coal export scheme collapses.
We ask Phil Tagami to drop his lawsuit and get to work on a plan that makes sense for one of the few remaining undeveloped parcels on our public waterfront. NO COAL IN OAKLAND!
To sign onto this letter, click here
Join us for next week’s town hall. Find out more here:
Asian Community Town Hall
Protecting Healthcare, Services & Immigrant Rights Under Trump
Thursday, March 23
6 PM-8 PM
***Dinner provided starting at 5:30 PM***
Living Hope Neighborhood Church
2800 Rheem Ave, Richmond (entrance off 28th St)
The new administration’s policies are attacking immigration, social services, public education, healthcare and the environment. Let’s come together to defend our rights & services!
Spread the word on Facebook!
Come together to:
- Connect to legal support
- Learn about free resources
- Ask questions & get answers
- Get involved!
For Lao and Khmu speakers call Torm at 707-771-9683.
Sponsored by: East Bay Community Law Center, Living Hope Neighborhood Church, El Cerrito Councilmember Gabe Quinto & West Contra Costa Supervisor John Gioia
Want to sponsor? Contact email@example.com to get involved
Photo c/o David Solnit
Join us and Bay Resistance for The Fight of Our Lives: March with us on #ResistTrumpTuesday! From #NoDAPL in Standing Rock to #NoCoalinOakland, those of us on the frontlines of racism, hetero-patriarchy, and extraction are fighting to protect our bodies and the places where we live, work, and play. The fossil fuel industry is polluting our neighborhoods, sabotaging our economy, and destroying our planet, and we refuse to pay the price any longer.
When: March 7th, 11:45 – 1p.m.
Where: 13th & Broadway, Downtown Oakland
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you’ll be joining us and get an APEN t-shirt
- Chase, CitiBank, and Wells Fargo: Divest from Dakota Access Pipeline!
- Oakland City Council: Create a public bank in Oakland!
- Phil Tagami, coal-export terminal developer: Drop the lawsuit against Oakland!
After the march, you can tweet at Oakland City Council to let them know you support a public bank in Oakland–Here are a few samples you can use:
- .@desleyb, Divest from #DAPL & create a publicly-owned bank in #oakland to invest in local economy & serve public good!
- .@annieforoakland, Divest from #DAPL & create a publicly-owned bank in #oakland to invest in local economy & serve public good!
- .@NoelGallo5, Divest from #DAPL & create a publicly-owned bank in #oakland to invest in local economy & serve public good!
- .@LynetteGM, Divest from #DAPL & create a publicly-owned bank in #oakland to invest in local economy & serve public good!
- .@Abel_Guillen, Divest from #DAPL & create a publicly-owned bank in #oakland to invest in local economy & serve public good!
- .@DanKalb, Divest from #DAPL & create a publicly-owned bank in #oakland to invest in local economy & serve public good!
- TY @Kaplan4Oakland for your effort to divest from #DAPL & create a public bank in #oakland to invest in local economy & serve public good!